Are you sure you are ready for these fluffy gluten free, sugar free and vegan pancakes to be introduced into your life? I hope so...
Made with wholesome ingredients like almond flour, gluten free flour, dates, flax seeds and oats, these pancakes take only a couple of minutes to whip together & I promise you, will taste like they came right out of your favorite brunch spot ;)
One of the things that make these pancakes so delicious is their fluffiness, which was achieved thanks to a miraculous secret ingredient: aquafaba.
If you are not familiar with it, aquafaba is simply the liquid in which chickpeas have been cooked and are canned in. When whipped using a handheld mixer, this liquid turns into a very airy white mousse that resembles egg whites. And just like egg whites, aquafaba can be used to fluff up any batter and is incredibly versatile in the kitchen. You can use it to make vegan mousse, vegan mayo, meringue and even GRANOLA! Yep, the genius Dana from the Minimalist Baker blog makes a super crunchy oil free Aquafaba Granola & it is absolute perfection!
One last thing regarding these pancakes, they do not contain any processed sugar... Instead of making the batter with white sugar or maple syrup, I opted for my all-time favorite sweetener: dates. The easiest way to incorporate them is to blend them along with your almond milk in a blender then pouring this mixture into the batter to add a touch of sweetness. As simple as that!
I loooooove serving these pancakes with a generous amount of my homemade Sugar Free Berry Jam, almond butter, chopped hazelnuts and pomegranates – am I the only one who thinks pomegranates are a food from the gods?! To me, they are the little rubies of the plant kingdom!
I really hope you try this recipe – it is absolutely perfect for lazy mornings in bed or when you want to treat yourself to a generous stack of the best guilt free pancakes ;) If you do try this recipe, like or comment on this post and feel free to share it on Instagram and to tag me (@muriellebanackissa) in your post!
Sweetened only with dates.
Using only whole food.
prep time: 10 minutes
cooking time: 15 minutes
total time: 25 minutes
yield: 1-2 people
3/4 cup + 1 tbsp gluten-free all-purpose flour
1/4 cup almond flour
2 tbsp old fashioned oats
1 tbsp ground flax seeds
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1/4 cup aquafaba
2 pitted dates
1 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tbsp oil of choice for frying (I recommend coconut or canola oil)
- In a medium bowl, add gluten free flour, almond flour, oats, ground flax seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add aquafaba to another bowl and whip using a hand mixer until stiff peaks form – this will take about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Add almond milk and dates to a blender and blend until the dates are well incorporated. Pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Mix to combine.
- Gently incorporate the whipped aquafaba into the pancake mixture, folding using a spatula. Set aside to thicken.
- In the meantime, heat a pan to medium heat and brush a bit of oil onto it. Once hot, pour 1/4 cup of batter onto your pan. Cook until bubbles appear then flip.
- Cook for about two minutes on the second side then place onto your serving plate.
- Serve with jam, nut butter, chopped nuts and pomegranate arils.