Despite my growing love for almond and cashew butters, I have to admit my heart still belongs to my childhood favorite: peanut butter. I remember, as a kid, I used to make epic PB&J sandwiches. Read the following instructions carefully, but be aware, this sandwich might awaken your taste buds so much that you will want to make one immediately!
- 2 slices of bread – white preferably for a more airy rather than dense sandwich
- Spread one (very generous!) tablespoon of jam on one slice
- Spread another tablespoon of peanut butter on the other slice
- Put them together
- Spread some peanut butter on the outside of the sandwich
- Now here is the fun part: Crush some Frosted Flakes or Corn Flakes and crust the outside of your sandwich with the cereal.
- Preheat your oven at 350ºC. Once preheated, bake on a baking sheet for 5 minutes or until the peanut butter starts to melt slightly, but make sure the bread is not too toasted. Indulge ;)
- ***Want to make it extra decadent? Switch the jam with Nutella... Yes I know... Madness!***
Although my love for peanut butter has changed a little in the sense that I very rarely indulge in it in the way described above, it still remains my one of my favorite ingredients on toast with some sliced bananas, in energy bars, smoothies, cakes...
A couple of weeks ago, I discovered a Montreal-based peanut butter brand whose peanut butter completely blew my mind. The brand is called D&D Mamba (click here to learn more about them). They make rich, spicy, flavour-packed peanut butters, inspired by the traditional Haitian “mamba” (spicy peanut butter in Creole). The brand now offers four different types of peanut butters, varying in their degree of heat:
- Crunchy medium
I personally tried the hot one – just ‘cause I love my heat! It is delicious, velvety and creamy just like a traditional peanut butter, but with a unique punch of spice that is perfect to enhance any sauce, curry, soup, stew, or even in a salad dressing.
That is how I used it in my Thai inspired salad with spicy peanut butter dressing. This salad makes a perfect summer lunch that can be put together in 15 minutes. It can also be made in advance and packed in a lunch, keeping the veggies and the dressing separate until serving. I love the fact that it is packed with vitamins, protein, fibers and healthy fats. On top of that, it is extremely flavourful and satisfying!
All those fresh, crunchy veggies are enhanced by the basil, which adds a touch of sweetness and an aromatic flavour. The seeds bring a smokey crunch to every bite, whereas the lime juice’s acidity brightens the entire salad. On the other hand, Mamba’s peanut butter adds a touch of creaminess and heat, which to me ties the dish together beautifully well.
1 small handful of spinach
1 heaping cup of shredded cabbage
½ cup of julienned carrots
½ red or orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
¼ cup of chopped basil
1/8 cup of toasted pepitas or dry roasted peanuts
2 tbsp of lime juice
1 tsp of water
½ tsp of maple syrup or to taste
½ tsp of sesame oil
½ tsp of grated garlic
½ tsp of soy sauce
¼ tsp of pepper
2 tsp of D&D Mamba spicy peanut butter
- On a plate, arrange the spinach, followed by the cabbage, carrots, and bell pepper. Top with chopped basil and pepitas (or peanuts).
- To prepare the dressing, add all the dressing ingredients to a small mixing bowl. Using a fork, whisk until all combined and smooth. If the consistency is too thick for your taste, add a bit of water, ½ teaspoon at a time, mixing well between each addition until you have achieved your preferred consistency.
- Taste and adjust flavours as needed by adding a bit of lime juice for more acidity, maple syrup for sweetness, soy sauce for saltiness, and peanut butter for creaminess and heat.
- Drizzle over your salad and enjoy.