Three recipes in a row using chocolate...?!
Yes, I know, it might be a bit much, but I am a chocolate lover at heart! Also, we are still in February. So technically, National Chocolate month is not over yet, which means I can guiltlessly create and indulge in all the chocolate delights in the world!
For this recipe, I wanted to go back to a childhood classic: Rice Krispies squares. Surprisingly, as a child, I wasn’t the biggest Rice Krispies fan. I always found they tasted a bit bland and were not particularly original. I much preferred indulging in chocolate bars or pop tarts (if you haven’t read my post about my favorite childhood classics, click here).
However, a few weeks ago, I bought a bag of puffed kamut thinking I could create a vegan friendly and modernized version of the Rice Crispies treat.
The result: these crispy, chocolaty, chewy and nutty bars. They are made with whole grain puffed cereals, almond butter, maple syrup, cacao powder and coconut oil.
What I love the most about this recipe is the fact that you can make it in under 30 minutes and can play around with the base ingredients.
For example, you can use any type of puffed cereal: brown rice, millet, amaranth or quinoa. You can even swap out a cup of cereal with your favorite nuts. If you do not have maple syrup on hand, just swap it with honey, brown rice syrup or agave. The almond butter can be replaced by peanut butter or cashew butter for an even richer dessert. Lastly, the dark chocolate layer and the additional toppings are totally optional (although recommended!).
So don’t wait any longer, just try this recipe, get creative by making it your own and let me know how you find it in the comments or by tagging me in your creations on social media @muriellebanackissa.
prep time (excluding refrigeration time): 20 minutes
cooking time: -
total time: 20 minutes
yield: 16 squares
- 3 heaping cups puffed kamut
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp hemp hearts
- Line a 8x8 pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add kamut puffs, cacao powder and salt. Mix and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, add almond butter, maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla extract. Melt over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- When homogeneous, pour over the kamut puffs. Using a rubber spatula, mix until the cereals are well coated.
- Transfer to the prepared pan. Spread and evenly distribute, pressing down using your spatula.
- Place in the freezer for 10 minutes to set.
- In the meantime, melt chocolate with coconut oil over a double boiler.
- Pour over the bars. Garnish with pumpkin seeds and hemp hearts.
- Place back in the freezer for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and cut into squares or bars. Enjoy!
- Keep in the fridge or freezer.