Light and crispy, these savoury chickpea crepes only require 6 ingredients and can be ready in under 15 minutes! Highly versatile and incredibly easy to make, these crepes are vegan, gluten free & grain free!
TRUE FACT: I have eaten over 50 of these crepes!
Yep, since starting intolerance/elimination diet, because I could not have grains except quinoa and no nuts, I had to completely reinvent my breakfasts and snacks. Before going on this diet, I would have oats 90% of the time and toasts the other 10% of the time (especially during the week). However, those were pretty much off the table for 6 weeks.
I had to be creative and create a breakfast/snack that was nutritious while being versatile so I could enjoy having it even after the 50th time.
I had made chickpea pancakes/crepes in the past, mainly in the form of an omelette, cooking it with chopped veggies and lots of spices. However, when I created this recipe, I wanted it to be a thin crepe, soft in the middle and crunchy around the edges. I wanted it to also be a great base to enjoy along other vegetables, sauces etc.
How did I do that? Simple: add more water. By adding more water, the batter will become thinner and the final result will be a delightful thin crepe.
Of course, the batter is not solely made out of chickpea flour (which by the way is an amazing flour to have in your kitchen – it contains 7 grams of protein and 8 grams of fiber for 1/4 cup, all while being gluten free, nut free and grain free!) it also contains some nutritional yeast for a little cheesy flavour, some sambal oelek (a slightly spicy chili sauce), minced dried onion, a touch of salt and water to bind it all together.
What I love about this recipe is the fact that it is SO VERSATILE! Honestly, I cannot count all the different ways I enjoyed these crepes: on their own, with a homemade dip, with sauerkraut, stuffed with mashed chickpeas and a hot sauce, stuffed with mashed sweet potatoes and spinach, with salsa verde and regular salsa, with curries, with avocadoes and tomatoes... and the list goes on and on.
You can truly have these crepes in any way you like, think of it as a naan or a tortilla or as a normal savoury crepe and it will open your horizons on all its possibilities ;)
A FEW NOTES ON THIS RECIPE
Can I swap out the chickpea flour? I don’t know, I have not tested this exact recipe with another flour.
What if I do not have nutritional yeast on hand? Leave it out and reduce the water to 1 cup. If the batter is too thick add more water, one tablespoon at a time.
I cannot find sambal oelek? Leave it out if you don’t like spicy food or swap it out with sriracha or chili garlic sauce.
I only have dried onion powder on hand. What should I do? Use it! If you don’t have onion powder and happen to have dried garlic powder, you can totally use it instead.
Well, you guys, I hope you fall in love with this recipe as much as I did & it becomes a staple in your household as well. If you do end up trying it, make sure to share a photo of your creation and tag me (@muriellebanackissa) on Instagram.
Have a lovely day!
Savoury Chickpea Crepes (Gluten Free & Grain Free)
Prep time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Total time : 15 minutes
Yield : 4 crepes
1 cup chickpea flour
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp dried minced onion
1/2 tsp salt
1-2 tbsp sambal oelek (or sriracha)
1 1/4 cup water *
Extra virgin olive oil, for cooking
Add chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, dried minced onion and salt to a bowl and mix to combine.
Add sambal oelek and water and whisk until smooth.
Preheat a pan to medium-high heat.
When hot, add 1 teaspoon of olive oil, spread using a silicone brush and pour 1/2 cup of your chickpea crepe batter onto the pan.
Spread batter by moving your pan in circular motions.
Cook until golden brown around the edges (about 2 minutes).
Flip and cook on the other side for a minute or until golden brown.
Transfer to a preheated oven at 200ºF.
Repeat for the rest of the batter.
Enjoy crepes on their own or with your favorite toppings.
* If your batter is too thick and does not spread easily, add water, one tablespoon at a time until you reach a smoothie like consistency.